Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Dickens is in the Details

Sometimes, despite having the 'big picture' in one's mind, seeing that transformed onto the support for rendering is a slow process - primarily because the dickens is in the details... it is, especially when doing work from within one's mind, sometimes the case that there lies some fog on the mental landscape, just as is sometimes in this world - and it takes effort to 'see' thru it, often such that one has to wait a bit for it to lift so that one can then see further into the distance in order to get any more rendering done... such is presently the case with my ongoing project, "My Big Back Yard"... there is a temptation to just forge ahead and transfer the foreground and begin rendering that [and indeed, may find myself doing just that] while waiting out the further lifting of the fog - but for now, there is enough to keep me adding more details to the grand landscape, and as such keeping to the sketch... if, however, am finding problems being comfortable with 'seeing' the distance clearly, will then strike out and begin the colored pencil version of this on a 30"x40" illustration board [there will, hopefully, be three - colored pencil, pen and colored inks ["My Bigger Back Yard", 32"x40" on foamcore], and a grand landscape picture window sized one in acrylics on canvas, "The Grandest Back Yard", as if it all may be within a space habitat and a vast view of space is thus seen above it all...

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

Funny...I just wrote a blog post myself using close to this same phraseology. Unfortunately, I am finding myself getting tired of the details and going for the big picture. Alas, a large dichotomy between the two protocols and it kind of shows! LOL Your big back yard is coming out gorgeous!